KIPP is a non-profit network of college-preparatory, public charter schools educating elementary, middle, and high school students. We have a 20-year track record of preparing students in educationally underserved communities for success in college and life.
At KIPP, teachers, students, and families are all united around the same goal: college and a choice-filled life. We believe that an excellent college-preparatory education will set students up for success in whatever life path they choose. Through collective hard work and commitment, KIPP students complete college at a rate that is above the national average for all students and four times higher than that of students from similar economic backgrounds.
Today, there are nearly 200 KIPP schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia educating nearly 70,000 students on their path to and through college.
What Makes KIPP Different
We believe that all students can learn and achieve at high levels if given the opportunity. Our success is driven by:
- High Expectations: We set clearly defined and measurable high expectations for academic achievement and conduct in order to create and reinforce a culture of achievement and support. We know that every student is different and we personalize learning based on a student’s needs, skills, and interests.
- Strength of Character: Success in life depends on both academics and character. We help students foster character strengths that are essential for their own success and well-being. And we empower them to express their voice with power and to improve the world around them.
- Highly Effective Teachers and Leaders: Great schools require great teachers and school leaders. We empower our educators to lead school teams, and we invest in training to help them grow as professionals.
- Safe, Structured, and Nurturing Environments: Students need physical and emotional safety in order to take risks and learn from their successes and their mistakes. Our schools provide a safe, structured, and nurturing environment with minimal distractions and more time for both academics and extracurriculars, so our students love school and maximize their learning.
- KIPP Through College: Our counselors and advisors support students as they prepare for and select the right college and career for their needs and interests. After high school, we help KIPP alumni navigate the social, academic, and financial challenges they might encounter while in college.